This is another one of those things that I know other people have figured out before me, but I still want to share. I noticed today that shortcuts that get created on the desktop can be accessed directly from the address bar in Internet Explorer. So, for example if I
- Right-click on the desktop
- Pick "new shortcut"
- Type in a URL like http://pluralsight.com/craig
- Hit "Next"
- Give it a name like "CraigBlog"
- Fire up Internet Explorer
- Hit "Alt-d" to go to the address bar
- Type in "cra"
- Observe that it's now auto-completing "CraigBlog.url"
- Hit return
Et voila! I'm shot straight to my blog page. I'm a real keyboard kind of guy, so this just rocks, especially given that I've setup a hotkey to launch Internet Explorer.
For really fast usage, I've also turned on "Inline autocomplete" in IE options. Otherwise I have to hit down-arrow to get to the entry I want.