Friday, March 7, 2003

Nifty Little Shortcut

This is another one of those things that I know other people have figured out before me, but I still want to share. I noticed today that shortcuts that get created on the desktop can be accessed directly from the address bar in Internet Explorer. So, for example if I

  • Right-click on the desktop
  • Pick "new shortcut"
  • Type in a URL like http://pluralsight.com/craig
  • Hit "Next"
  • Give it a name like "CraigBlog"
  • Fire up Internet Explorer
  • Hit "Alt-d" to go to the address bar
  • Type in "cra"
  • Observe that it's now auto-completing "CraigBlog.url"
  • Hit return

Et voila! I'm shot straight to my blog page. I'm a real keyboard kind of guy, so this just rocks, especially given that I've setup a hotkey to launch Internet Explorer.

For really fast usage, I've also turned on "Inline autocomplete" in IE options. Otherwise I have to hit down-arrow to get to the entry I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment