Monday, March 17, 2003

NewsGator Plus Outlook 2003: Works Great...Now

I use NewsGator to read blogs. I love it. So when I upgraded to Outlook 2003 (jury is still out, but I think I like it) I was crushed when NewsGator stopped working. Actually, it works fine under Outlook 2003, but not if you don't run as adminstrator. I don't. So I had to choose:

  1. Give up running as admin.
  2. Give up Outlook 2003.
  3. Give up NewsGator.

Honestly, 1 would be a relief, but it would also be giving in to the forces of darkness. Two would sort of suck - I want to check it out, and I'm not even sure I could migrate back, since I was dumb enough not to back up my pst file. As I said, option three was painful.

Luckily, I emailed the amazing Greg Reinacker, author of NewsGator, and within a few hours, he'd sent me this .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Office\\Outlook\\Addins\\NewsGator.Connect]
"FriendlyName"="NewsGator"
"Description"="RSS News Aggregator for Microsoft Outlook"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

And everything started working again. Woohoo! Thanks Greg - now that's customer service.

1 comment:

  1. And I thought I was the only one running NewsGator at DM. It rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete