Thursday, February 6, 2003

Taking the Plunge

So I took Keith Brown's advice and decided to change my lifestyle.I'm reinstalling my machine, and I'm going to try to live without running as Administrator all the time.

Oh. My. God.

Almost nothing I've tried to do so far has worked. Office probably will, but WinKey, one of my favorite tools, looks like it might not ever. Radio, in particular, took some gymnastics to set up. Particularly galling is the fact that it wants to write to its install directory. Strike 19, Radio!

Anyway, it's an absolutely fascinating study in how software shouldn't be written. I highly recommend it if you have an extra couple of hours to add to the install process - it is guaranteed to change the way you write software.

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about taking the plunge myself once I repave my laptop.... but will probably will wait until Everett gets released :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, using the betas seemed like the perfect time to do it: since I almost always screw something up out of ignorance the first time I install a product, I figured I'd just try it this time, and then decide what to do when installing the final product. So far, I'd have to say it's been a very difficult experience, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds like a good experience, i might just try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very much like taking the red pill, ain't it, Craig? ;-)

    ReplyDelete