Friday, February 14, 2003

Craig's AppList

I've been taking the plunge lately and trying to do development as a non-administrator. It's been...interesting. I'm starting to get used to it now, but what has been most interesting is the list of applications that don't work, or only work with modifications. I've posted this list, which contains all the apps I've tried to set up so far, and whether or not they run in my new non-admin lifestyle.

Update: I've gotten a few more apps working thanks to Greg Reinacker (author of the most excellent NewsGator) and Adrian Bateman.

3 comments:

  1. Craig, NewsGator v0.9 has fixed this, and should work fine as a non-admin. You'll need to install as admin, but you can install for "all users" and you'll be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list would probably be even more useful if you included version numbers. Here, Winamp 2.81 runs as non-admin on Win2K but has to be installed as admin if you download the "Full" version which contains Windows Media Audio support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'll have to find time to go back and add these in.

    ReplyDelete