While I was out in Seattle last week, I stopped off at MSDN to talk to some people about getting going on the project I'll be working on. One of the exciting pieces is that we're going to be using some really bleeding-edge stuff, like Yukon and Whidbey. So it was convenient for me to grab the interim builds of these products, since that's we're going to develop against. In fact, we expect to track the product teams pretty closely, updating our development environment frequently with new builds.
Like I said, this is exciting for nerds like us. But like most things, it's a tradeoff; we knew that it was going to cause us some pain. This weekend I encountered the first pangs. In the middle of installing Yukon, I got an error message to the effect of “MDAC does not meet the Windows Logo requirements. It will not be installed.” Then the whole install rolled back.
In and of itself, that doesn't sound too bad, but in the wake of it, neither the .NET 1.1 C# compiler nor any version of ASP.NET works on that machine. Joy. Hopefully we'll get it sorted out soon. In the meantime, I guess I can do command-line compiles of my side projects (more about those later) with the Whidbey C# compiler. Not the greatest setup, but enough to give me some confidence before I do a check-in.