Wednesday, August 4, 2004

Coalesce

Recently, I posted some complaints about XmlSerializer and about Windows Explorer. First of all, thanks to those who posted comments trying to help out - they led to a better understanding, and to a solution, respectively. They also led to me finding out about an interesting tool. Since I know not everyone reads the comments of every post, I thought I'd coalesce the interesting bits here.



  • It turns out the XmlSerializer behavior is expected, and documented. Mostly, it's fallout from the XSD “fixed“ capability, which is basically pure evil: why would you make me go look at a schema to determine what the value of something should be? Yuck.

  • Several people correctly pointed out that files were taking forever to delete because my Recycle Bin had too much crap in it - I had thought I had emptied it recently, but I guess not. Ian Griffiths, however, posts that he uses waste.exe from Tim Tabor's BinManager to automate the process of cleaning out his Recycle Bin. Sounds interesting - I'll definitely have to check it out.

  • While I was poking around trying to figure out my XmlSerializer problems, I came across this little nugget about how to get XmlSerializer to show you the code it generates...now that might come in handy.

  • On top of that, the very cool mvp-xml project just released SGen, which lets you do some pretty serious customization of the XmlSerializer process.

No comments:

Post a Comment