Monday, May 31, 2004

FwSync 1.0 - Code Name Perserverance

It was a busy weekend - my wife was accepted to the Wharton Executive MBA program, and she started class yesterday. We drove up and got her settled in to her new, incredibly busy life. While she was listening to introductory speeches, I got some time to spend with my computer. I'd recently run into some issues with my offline FlexWiki editing tools, and finally needed the ability to merge offline and online changes. About eight hours of effort later, I've completed it. With this feature out of the way, I feel like I can finally slap a 1.0 label on FwSync. Woohoo!


This is really a milestone for me. Like many people in my line of work, I have a fairly short attention span - I tend to focus on something intently for a while, figure out about 80% of it, and then move on to the next thing. That's an asset when you're teaching a class or researching a new technology, but I've long been aware that “real” developers don't have the luxury of moving on once the interesting bits are finished. So I've been looking at FwSync and FlexWikiPad as ways to see if I can follow a project all the way through to the end.


I still have a fair way to go in my journey. If nothing else, I'd like to ship version 1.0 of FlexWikiPad as well. And beyond that, I want to spend some time supporting the products, because I think you learn a lot by hearing how the choices you make screw other people over. You learn even more when you then have to fix them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment