Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I Like Pie




Tim Bray  posted this recently:




Sam Ruby has, over the last week or so, been quietly
at the center of a lot of intense discussion with the goals of clarifying
what a “log entry” is
, and now building
a roadmap around it
. Now they’re asking people to put up their hands and
say whether they support this or not. I support it strongly, with (a typically lengthy
list of) caveats, amplifications and digressions....

[ongoing]



The gist of it is, it might be time to pitch RSS, take the best ideas
out of it, and start over. Given the tarball that RSS is right now, I don’t
think this is a terrible idea. Had we done the same thing with HTML in about 1995
(and perhaps again around 1998), we might be in better shape today.



Certainly, the discussion on Sam’s
Wiki
is interesting enough to be worth noting.



 



 




2 comments:

  1. I say, if we're gonna chuck RSS, we better do it soon. It's getting REALLY popular, and inertia will be kicking in soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree: better now than later. But given how fast other changes have occurred, I wouldn't be surprised to see this turn over pretty damn quickly.

    ReplyDelete