Quicken was broken
When running as non-admin
Now it’s working again
So apparently whatever stupid, administrative-privilege-needing thing Quicken was doing was a startup issue, because now that I’ve used it a few times and configured everything, I’ve been able to go back to my non-admin ways. I need to thank all the people that commented helpfully, in particular:
· “Aeb” for reminding me of what I should have remembered: good ol’ runas. My only excuse is that I was so annoyed at things not working I didn’t stop long enough to think of this.
It’s been very tempting to switch back to running as admin before this. I thought when I gave it up this time it would be for good. But it wasn’t as hard to give up the extra privs this time as it was to start – I guess I’m getting used to it.