Thursday, May 22, 2003

A Security Haiku

Quicken was broken
When running as non-admin
Now it’s working again

So apparently whatever stupid, administrative-privilege-needing thing Quicken was doing was a startup issue, because now that I’ve used it a few times and configured everything, I’ve been able to go back to my non-admin ways. I need to thank all the people that commented helpfully, in particular:

·        Raj Chaudhuri for pointing me (and a few others, it seems) to the Windows Application Verifier – that alone has made this detour worthwhile.

·        “Aeb” for reminding me of what I should have remembered: good ol’ runas. My only excuse is that I was so annoyed at things not working I didn’t stop long enough to think of this.

·        Samer Ibrahim for wailing and gnashing his teeth about my deviation from the one true path. :)

It’s been very tempting to switch back to running as admin before this. I thought when I gave it up this time it would be for good. But it wasn’t as hard to give up the extra privs this time as it was to start – I guess I’m getting used to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment