Wednesday, May 14, 2003

The Non-Admin Lifestyle Saga Continues

Brad has now jumped on the non-admin bandwagon - which I think is pretty cool of him considering his publically stated reservations about the process. He's also blogging his experiences with various apps - what works, what doesn't. I did something similar a while back (see Craig's AppList). The list is slightly out of date now, but since I switched from Radio, I don't have a good way to generate long-form content, and rather than edit the list in-place, I'd rather spend my time writing my content generation system.

In the meantime, let me share something I learned along these lines. Here's a recent post I made to the WinTech Off-Topic Mailing List:

I actually dug around working on WinKey some more (my AppList is a bit out of date) and it is indeed doing something funky. I think - but didn't nail it down - that it's dynamically registering CLSIDs at runtime. But here's the thing: it only does it when you pop up the UI. The bit that actually runs things works fine.

So what you wind up having to do is to run WinKey as admin, set up all your shortcuts, then export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Copernic Technologies\WinKey\Shortcuts and re-import it under your non-admin account.

No comments:

Post a Comment