So I was setting up one of my other machines with the new version of HoboCopy, when I got this error:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
After doing a little digging, I realized that the problem was the version of the VC++ runtime I installed. I had run vcredist_x86.exe, but I had run the version that came with the RTM version of Visual Studio. Of course, HoboCopy was compiled with the SP1 version of Visual Studio, because a bug in the C++ compiler means it won't compile at all on the RTM version. Once I installed the updated vcredist_x86.exe, HoboCopy works again.
Of course, I had posted the wrong version up on SourceForge. I've fixed that - the version of vcredist_x86.exe available here now matches the one HoboCopy is expecting.
Sorry if this bit anyone other than me.