Thursday, July 21, 2005

Beam Him Up

James Doohan, the actor who played Scotty on the original Star Trek series, died Wednesday of complications related to pneumonia. He was 85. I think it's safe to say that the chief engineer on the Enterprise was an iconic figure to a pretty good portion of our profession. I know for my part I quite often employ his trick of multiplying all my estimates by four. It's funny, but even when you tell people this is what you're doing, you still look good when you finish in half the time you said it would take you.


Hats off to Mr. Doohan for helping to create such an unforgettable character.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, such a sad loss. They always say the originals are the best and even allowing for the wobbly scenary in the original Star Trek, the others that followed are all a poor second.



    Such a pity they've all gone their separate ways. I was really looking forward to "Star Trek - the old and past it Generation."





    "You call this scotch?!"

    ReplyDelete