Bob Beauchemin helped me out with a little problem I was having yesterday, and I figured I'd do my part to disseminate the information.
I was playing around with some software that needs a database back-end. All I have on my machine right now is some interim build of Yukon that we're using at MSDN. I knew I was risking problems by using it, but I didn't really want to have to install SQL Server 2000 as well.
The problem I ran into was when using a connection string like this:
I was getting the following error message
SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
After playing around with it for a while, I discovered that if I ran the program I was testing from a window where it bound to Whidbey, the error message went away. In other words, the problem only existed when using System.Data.SqlClient from the CLR 1.1. I thought I was running into a bug in Yukon that meant I was going to have to install SQL Server 2000. Sigh.
Fortunately, before I went down that road, I asked some of my DM buddies if they knew of this particular issue. Bob came back and said that he'd seen this error before, and that for him, switching the connection string to something like this:
fixed the problem (note the use of 'localhost' instead of '.').
And sure enough - it fixed it for me, too. Thanks Bob!